Our 12-foot-wide Quonset style above ground steel community tornado shelters have stood the test of time and the trial of tornado winds. These community community tornado shelters meet FEMA 361 guidelines to provide “near absolute protection against EF5 tornado winds.”
For some of our other customers who required a little more room and who wanted more options, they choose our 12-foot-wide shelters.
- Door dimensions: 3’ wide x 6’8” tall (ADA accessible)
- Built with ASTM A 36 ¼” heavy-duty steel plate and ASTM A 500 structural 3”x3”x3/8” rolled angle, 4’ on center and 4”x4”x1/4” square tubing, 8’ on center for utmost strength and durability
- Round design provides maximum protection for deflection of flying debris
- Powder-coated baked-on finish is rust and corrosion-resistant
- Triple-locking, single lever latching mechanism with keyed door handle for extra safety and security
- Removable perimeter benches provide ability to increase/decrease seating/standing capacity
- Chemical toilet with privacy enclosure included
- 50 amp 240 volt electrical load center with lighting, exhaust fan system and electrical outlets included
- Stand-by generators and solar panel kits available (call for pricing)
- Factory installation and foundation available (call for pricing)
- Shelters meet FEMA 361 and ICC 500 codes with 250 MPH wind rating. Wall sections and doors successfully passed Texas Tech Wind Research Institute simulated tornado missile impact test. Shelters are designed and sealed by a Structural Engineer
- 18” thick concrete foundation is provided with two layers of #5 rebar installed 9” and 16” on center. 5/8” x 12” x 12” embed steel plates with Nelson Studs are precast into the concrete and all columns are welded to precast plates per Engineer’s specifications creating the strongest anchoring on the market. Optional 12” foundation with 24” perimeter footing is available in areas with frost line requirements.
12×8, 12×16, 12×24, 12×32, 12×40, 12×48, 12×56, 12×64, 12×72, 12×80, 12×88, 12×96