Last Updated: July 28, 2016 Is five the lucky number when it comes to tornadoes? Maybe so. Just this week, two stories have popped up online that share five tips about tornadoes-staying safe and even spotting one early.One comes from Parade magazine and lists top advice from the book What Stands in a Storm.
Tips about Tornadoes-How to stay safe
- Don’t rely only on sirens.
- Avoid mobile homes and cars.
- Get as low as possible to ride out the storm.
- Cover up.
- Stay in touch.
Tips about Tornadoes-How to spot one early
“Twister Tech: 5 Ways to Spot Tornadoes Early” comes from Popular Mechanics. It offers five ways to spot a tornado on its way. They include:
- A more targeted warning system that alerts smaller geographic areas to the possible presence of a tornado so that those getting the warning take it seriously.
- A new Doppler that can determine the size and shape of exactly what is in the air — either rain, snow or hail.
- The power of sound, including infrasonic arrays that measure super-low-frequency sounds that allow severe storm activity to be observed from more than 600 miles away.
- The power of lightning by using networks of electrical sensors called Lightning Mapping Arrays to pinpoint lightning’s location more quickly.
- A 3D tornado simulator for study of the storm in great detail.
More helpful safety resources from Survive-a-StormAt Survive-a-Storm Shelters, we have put together several resources to help you and your family stay safe in a tornado. Click on the links below to read more.
- How to get ready for tornado season
- Helpful apps you can download
- Keep Your Tornado Warning Toolbox Stocked — And Head for Your Storm Shelter
- Tornado Safety Tips
- Check out our GeoLocator Service